baby growth

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Nursery Rhymes....a closer look...

There are a few all-time favorites nursery rhymes, which withstand the test of time and have been passed down from generations to generations…

However…. as I am singing them to Cayden, I feel that some of the rhymes are pretty violent!

Top 5 on my list :

1. London Bridge is falling down

Second stanza :
Take a key and lock her up,
Lock her up, Lock her up.
Take a key and lock her up,
My fair lady.


“Take the key and lock her up…” Does it sounds like Mills and Boon to you ? It certainly reminds me of those trashy romance fictions which I have read.

2. Rock a bye baby
3. Jack and Jill
4. Humpty Dumpty
5. Three Blind Mice

And another not so violent rhyme but worth mentioning is YiXuan’s current favorite:

Skip, skip, skip to my Lou (3x)
Skip to my Lou my darling

Lost my partner what'll I do (3x)
Skip to my Lou my darling

I'll get another one prettier than you (3x)
Skip to my Lou my darling

Now…..what is this rhyme trying to teach ?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

some of them sound violent, but is to teach children of those ages the consequences of misbehaving. like running down the hill and breaking eggs. haha

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the kindermusik version of skip to my lou is definitely LESS suggestive! :D

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home